29 April 2010

South African Bobotie

This "Bobotie" recipe (find it here) I made the other day is delicious. I saw Martha make it after her trip to Cape Town in South Africa and I thought it looked so exotic and interesting. It has so many different flavors and textures going on. A mild curry ground lamb dish that you then pour a custard over and top with bay leaves and bake...it has some sweetness with apricot preserves and apples added, slivered almonds for crunch and you serve it with basmati rice and garnishes like banana (sounds weird unless you have had Caribbean cuisine, but its great with it), cilantro, lemon, unsweetened coconut, raisins....like I said, pretty exotic. One thing I loved about it is you make your own curry with all of these great spices so it has great flavor, you don't just use one "curry powder". (I happened to already have these spices in my cupboard but if you don't, it might cost you a bit of $$). I look forward to making it again in the future!

No comments: